Except One. Be Nice!

Moderators: Fireball, DONNY

Secrets to winning

Postby DONNY » Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 am

Keep God first, glorifing him should be your top priority
1. Keep it fun
2. Only you can decide to be a champion, not your parents, trainer,or friends
3. Winning is both physical and mental
4. Don't substitute your education for racing, you might not make it, you might get injured, and you will just be a stupid looser.
5. It's a lot easier to work your way from the front to the back, than the other way around, get a good start.
6. Cross training is critical
7. Attitude is probably the most important thing
8. Set realistic goals
9. Thank everyone that helps you along the way
10. Your bike must be as ready as you are
11. Nobody likes a thug but other thugs, surround yourself with winners
12. Don't brag even if you have good reason, be humble
13. Realize nobody wins them all
Much more to come
DONNY

Re: Secrets to winning

Postby ajo23racing » Mon May 12, 2014 9:17 am

Speaking from experience no doubt. Solid word.
ajo23racing

Postby logan66 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:36 am

The secret is MONEY,LOTS OF MONEY. Once you get to the 250F,there are no secrets. Its having enough money to build race competitive 250F's(period).To compete at the top you need huge amounts of MONEY !!!!!
logan66

Postby ajo23racing » Wed May 14, 2014 8:26 pm

You might be able to work your way into the back of the pack professionally with lots of money. You gotta stick whatever bike you got between 2 factory bikes to get noticed. I bet any of the great riders today could ride stock bikes competitively.
ajo23racing

Postby BROKE DADDY » Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

logan66 wrote:The secret is MONEY,LOTS OF MONEY. Once you get to the 250F,there are no secrets. Its having enough money to build race competitive 250F's(period).To compete at the top you need huge amounts of MONEY !!!!!

your right ....better have a bank roll.
BROKE DADDY

Postby BROKE DADDY » Wed May 14, 2014 9:13 pm

ajo23racing wrote:You might be able to work your way into the back of the pack professionally with lots of money. You gotta stick whatever bike you got between 2 factory bikes to get noticed. I bet any of the great riders today could ride stock bikes competitively.

if james stewart had to race a complete store bought 450....i bet he would retire.they all want factory bikes for a reason .to win
BROKE DADDY

Postby logan66 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:36 am

Listen,you take a kid who can compete on 125's with anybody nationally. The relativity of expense through this period can be done
on a families income of 100k(not living in a tent to do it).When you get to the 250F,to be competitive nationally,you have to have purpose built race bikes that require a full time mechanic to maintain. Training facility,mechanic,race competitive
250f's are all things not affordable to a family making 100k annually. I know because we tried. If not for Scott Plessinger
taking Logan under his wing,for little expense and looking after his 125's and 250 2-strokes he never could have gone to
Lorettas in schoolboy. Scott trained,wrenched and took Logan racing and got him to a level I could never have afforded.You look at all the kids that make it whos parents are not living in a pup tent or a broke down motor home or beat down house and i'll show you someone who's wealth is substantial.
logan66

Postby ajo23racing » Sat May 17, 2014 11:50 am

I just want to make sure that racing performance isn't overshawdowed by this money thang. It doesn't matter if your pitting out of a factory rig or a Tee-Pee, you still got to put up an amazing ride. Stock bikes today have never been more ready to race opening up doors for more good riders.

Lots of secrets revealed in this video:
http://youtu.be/QCb4Wclpyyk
ajo23racing

Postby BROKE DADDY » Sun May 18, 2014 10:07 pm

To put things back on topic....i think the key to winning is you have to risk loosing
BROKE DADDY

Postby logan66 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:30 am

ajo23racing, I hope your kidding. If you are serious,you are one totally clueless dude. Paradise is racing next weekend,gimme a shout.
logan66

Postby ajo23racing » Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm

logan66 wrote:ajo23racing, I hope your kidding. If you are serious,you are one totally clueless dude. Paradise is racing next weekend,gimme a shout.

I am clueless for sure but I understand the difficulties standing up your rider but prefer to focus on positive imagery and experiences. When it comes to the secrets of winning, all you got to do is go to the track and you will see all kinds of motocross winners. I think heart and determination are key attributes of winners.

Here's a few examples of winners in my book:

The 50's dad that ran every lap with his rider is a WINNER.

The kid that skipped partying Friday night and got up early Saturday to take his old bike to the races is a WINNER.

The riders that rode together to the track and slept in tents to save money are WINNERS.

The kid that didn't care that his bike was inferior to the others on the gate is a WINNER.

The riding teams that seek out sponsorship instead of sitting back waiting for the phone to ring are WINNERS.

...and many more.

I look forward to every trip to the track. When I enter the main gate, I feel like I'm in a house of WINNERS.

Logan66: I heard Paradise was a pretty good place to ride.

L
ajo23racing

Postby logan66 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:05 am

AND EVERYONE DESERVES A TROPHY. COMMUNISM IS A PERFECT FORM OF GOVERNMENT UNTIL YOU INFUSE IT WITH HUMAN NATURE.
logan66

Postby ajo23racing » Mon May 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Logan66:
I don't know about all that wonderful insight about politics and trophy's. I do know you have given your rider a sweet hobby he can share with his kids someday. Wouldn't it be cool to see your grand kids at the track enjoying dirkbike racing with their dad. Just enjoy the sport and your time at the track with your rider. You've provided your rider an opportunity to experience motocross. Many kids that like motocross can only dream of having a dad that would buy them a nice dirt bike and take them to the local track.

Let someone else with unrealistic expectations or desires devour the bowl of sour grapes and disappointment at the next level. Don't go down that path. Have fun. Life is too short and we never get to spend enough quality time with our kids before they are grown.

Maybe I'm just stupid. Anybody else care to comment?

L
ajo23racing

Postby logan66 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 am

I grew up in a competitive environment. I was not raised to think losing was okay. Participating in something was never good enough. Logan first got a YZ85 for his 9th birthday and he wanted to compete. We never entered a beginner class and I
remember Zach Bell,Max T.,Colton Ford,Taylor Holt,Kyler West both Turpins et,all(just in Georgia), lapping him consistently. I will never forget how many times he cried because he could not COMPETE with these kids. Through hard work, lots of money but mostly a work ethic second to none,Logan got to a point were he could compete with anyone.
We have already traversed the money issues with the race 250F's in an earlier medium so I will not digress. I do not believe in holding hands and singing cumbaya and pissing my money away to watch my kid ride around in the back of the pack and I would hope this SPORT never degenerates into that. But ajo23 you represent the prevailing opinion of the day,where we are all there to just have fun.
logan66

Postby ajo23racing » Wed May 28, 2014 6:28 am

Hard Work. Focus. Realistic Approach.
Last edited by ajo23racing on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ajo23racing

Next

Return to GA-MXRACING BOARD